You should have received notification from Meriter that they will be implementing a mandatory flu vaccination program beginning this year.
Your SEIU RN Bargaining Team negotiated over how this program will be implemented. We created safeguards for those of you who need to opt out of the program for various reasons as well as those of you who don’t.
Here is what you need to know:
- All employees are required to get the flu vaccine.
- If you are medically unable to receive the flu vaccine, Meriter shall grant exemptions. These medical exemptions must be submitted to Employee Health Services (EHS) by November 1st 2013. Beginning next flu season, that date will become 3 weeks prior to the start of the flu clinics.
- If you have a permanent medical condition, this exemption only needs to be submitted once in your career at Meriter and will apply to all subsequent flu seasons.
- If you have a temporary medical condition, this exemption will only apply to the flu season you submit it for.
- If you have a non-medical reason, exemptions may be requested through EHS and must be submitted by November 1st 2013. Beginning next flu season, that date will become 3 weeks prior to the start of the flu clinics.
- Meriter cannot unreasonably deny any of these exemptions. If you feel you are unreasonably denied, please immediately contact a Union steward or your Staff Representative listed below.
- You are NOT required to wear a mask as part of the flu vaccination program. If you are granted any kind of exemption from the program, you will NOT be required to wear a mask.
- If you receive the flu vaccine and still contract the flu within the season, an absence will NOT be counted so long as written confirmation of contracting the flu is provided to EHS from your healthcare practitioner.
If you have any questions regarding the program or how to obtain an exemption, please contact a Nurses’ Council member or call your Union Staff Representative, Dana Dumbacher at 608-277-1199 ext. 12 or email at: email@example.com